Tips for Students Studying Abroad in the United States

Thanks to Brain Track for the following guest post.

Tips for Students Studying Abroad in the United States

The United States is a popular place to study abroad. More than 672,000 international students were enrolled in US colleges and universities in 2008-2009. International students have a variety of US schools to choose from. Let’s take a look at some useful tips for international students studying in the United States.

Financial Aid

The majority of financial aid is awarded as scholarships and grants and is provided by private and public sources, which usually restrict their awards to United States citizens. However, numerous US colleges and universities do provide financial aid packages to international students. These colleges want a student population which is culturally, socially, economically, and geographically diverse. Here are some of the schools that offer financial aid packages to international students:

  • Princeton
  • Harvard
  • University of Miami
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Cornell University
  • Ithaca College
  • University of Chicago
  • John Hopkins
  • University of Oregon

Graduate students may have an easier time finding financial aid. Graduate and teaching assistantships are typically provided on the basis of academic achievement. Citizenship is usually not a consideration.

International Education Financial Aid (IEFA)

International Education Financial Aid (IEFA) is a good resource for financial aid and includes both grants and college scholarships. The web site also offers information about international student loan programs.

Popular US Colleges – International Students

In descending order, the most popular US schools for international students are:

  • University of Southern California
  • New York University
  • Columbia University
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Purdue University

US Government Source

EducationUSA has a web page that provides a variety of information for international students. EducationUSA also offers an informative web page that provides information about undergraduate study, graduate study, specialized professional study, and college and university search tools.

International Student Offices

Many colleges and universities in the United States have an international students office. The office’s staff members provide assistance with topics such as:

  • Visa status
  • Financial issues
  • Off-campus social activities
  • Housing
  • Health problems
  • Employment
  • Academic planning

Staff members can help you adjust to academic and cultural life in the United States.

Community Colleges

The United States has nearly 1,200 community colleges. Community colleges provide a variety of two-year degrees and certificates. Career specific training programs are also offered at community colleges. Students who take the general education courses of a four-years bachelor’s degree program at a community college can save a substantial amount of money. Also, the admissions requirements at US community colleges are easy to meet.

It’s important to perform plenty of research before selecting a US college. In order to meet other students and make the transition go more smoothly, consider joining some college organizations and clubs.

Brian Jenkins is a member of the BrainTrack writing staff. He writes about a variety of topics useful to students, including teaching careers in the U.S.