I hope that you are all well and managing with the lockdown! It is very challenging for lots of people, and a good opportunity for many of us to do things that we don’t usually have time to do, such as study a bit more. I have been spending more time on improving my French and one of the websites I’m using is TED.com. I have found some talks and I am listening to them at 75% of normal speed to help me understand them. A good TED talk can provide hours of excellent academic language practice. You can:
- Read the DETAILS section to get the overall topic of the talk.
- Listen to the first 3 minutes of it at full speed without any subtitles
- Read the transcript and look up new words for that section
- Read the transcript and listen to it at 75% speed (adjust it under SETTINGS) at the same time for that section
- Now listen to that section again at full speed without the subtitles
- Repeat for the next section of the talk (if you have time!).
You can even follow a reading list and comment on the talk as well. And it’s all FREE!
Here’s an interesting one you could take a look at:
Good luck everyone!